Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Friendship Bread

About two weeks ago my Hubby arrived with a starter for friendship bread he received at work. I had no idea of what it was, I've never heard of it before but once I made it I was hooked! It is so good!!!! It was actually the first time I baked a bread that I was totally happy with. It takes ten days but is not really complicated and after searching online I found many variations, including even cookies.


I'm saving the remaining starter to try some of those recipes. In the meantime, this is the one I did. Apple cinnamon friendship bread :)





It came out soft, sweet with an amazing cinnamon smell... heavenly!!







Starter Recipe ( Since I received the starter, I didn't try this, but everywhere I looked, same recipe came up.)

Use plastic or wooden utensils and plastic or glass containers when making this. Do not use metal at all!
Ingredients:
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F)
Directions:
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water for about 10 minutes. Stir well.
2. In a 2 quart glass or plastic container, combine 1 cup sifted flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or the flour will get lumpy when you add the milk.
3. Slowly stir in warm milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Loosely cover the mixture with a lid or plastic wrap. The mixture will get bubbly. This will be day 1 of the cycle.



Recipe ( if you receive the starter on a ziploc bag, remember to let the air out every day.)
Day 1 - receive the starter (the recipe for the starter is below)
Day 2 - stir
Day 3 - stir
Day 4 - stir
Day 5 - Add 1 cup each flour, sugar and milk.
Day 6 - stir
Day 7 - stir
Day 8 - stir
Day 9 - stir
Day 10 - Add 1 1/2 cup flour, 1 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 cup milk. Divide into 5 containers, with 1 cup each. Give friends the instructions for Day 1 through Day 10 and the recipe for baking the bread.
After removing the 4 cups of batter, combine the remaining cup of Amish Friendship Bread starter with the following ingredients in a large bowl:
1 cup oil 
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 to 1 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon ( I did mine with 2 tbsp for a rich cinnamon flavor)
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 boxes of instant  vanilla pudding
1 diced apple (about 1 1/4 cup, I used a Golden Delicious)

Beat by hand until well blended. 
Grease two loaf pans with butter, sprinkle with sugar instead of flour.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to 1 hour (individual oven temperatures vary). Cool 10 minutes, remove from pans. Makes two loaves.

Enjoy!!




3 comments:

  1. This looks so pretty. I love how you also did some research and included the recipe for the starter. So thoughtful. You make a wonderful friendship bread but I'm not at all surprised. You are a wonderful friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Renee you'r so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing and I admire the patience that you had to wait the full 10 days to make it.

    ReplyDelete