Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dark Chocolate Cake!

Today was one of those days in which you just need chocolate. One of those days when having a melt-in-your-mouth piece of chocolate is the only thing keeping you sane....So I did the only thing I could do... I gave in. I went to that sacred place, and grabbed the Valrhona chocolate bar, pulled up my fave recipe and proceeded to get rid of all worries, stress and demons in my head while baking. It is as I re-discovered today, one of the top 3 ways to relax, the other two involve the smiles of the most handsome husband and his little side kick, the most gorgeous 9 month old baby boy, am I lucky or what?!

Here is the recipe for you, for the next time you have one of these days...

Cake:
1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ounce high-quality milk chocolate (such as Lindt, Perugina, or Valrhona), chopped
1/4 cup boiling water
1/4 cup milk
2/3 cup cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract



Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F. Butter one 5- inch cake pan with 5 inches-high side or 5-inch cake pans with 2-inch-high sides. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; butter parchment. Combine cocoa powder and milk chocolate in medium bowl. Pour 1/4 cup boiling water over; whisk until mixture is smooth. Whisk in milk.


hehe.. you can see my phone while taking the pic




Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in another medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat both sugars, melted butter, egg, and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Add flour and cocoa mixtures; beat until blended (batter will be thin).

                                                                                                                                                           





And here are my toes!








Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out with some crumbs attached, 28 to 30 minutes. Cool in pans on racks 15 minutes. Turn out onto racks; peel off parchment. Turn over; cool on racks.









Heavenly!




The original recipe has also a recipe for a frosting, but I was too lazy and in a hurry for a choco fix so I went the easy way. 


1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks 
1 tablespoon of butter


Warm the heavy cream and add the butter and chocolate. Mix well until blended, re heat if necessary. 

Once the cake has cooled enough... if you can wait that long ... pour the melted chocolate over the cake, as little or as much as you like... Its your cake!! ;-)





Drop me a line, tel me what you think!
Enjoy!!!


P.S.  Visit my new website/blog dedicated to my Sweet Spa products. Homemade bath and body products with wonderful aromas! http://hecmis.weebly.com/


  

5 comments:

  1. This cake looks absolutely heavenly!!!
    ~Kim
    from Blogging Buddies team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now following your blog and twitter. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful beautiful blog!!!This cake looks DELICIOUS! I will give it a try and let you know!!! kisses and hugs, foivi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! This cake looks deeee-licious! Yes, you are a lucky lady. How did your baby turn to be 9 months old already? Amazing! Anyway, great cake! You made me very hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! Why or why do I gravitate toward chocolate? If it's on a blog, my screen always finds it!

    ReplyDelete