Friday, October 29, 2010

Dad's Birthday Cake

"I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time." Forrest Gump




This cake was rushed, not planned in advance and even improvised. My dad is diabetic, and I didn't thought it would be a good idea to do a cake for his birthday, much less a regular sweet cake, but I still wanted to do something. I did a research for a cake recipe for diabetics and wasn't convinced and I realized  that having a little piece of a regular cake would be more satisfying for him.

I was right...he loved it : )  They even liked the meringue, which  I know wasn't the way it's supposed to be. I may not be happy with the meringue, but knowing that my family liked it, specially  birthday boy, makes me feel happy.


For the recipe, I adapted Martha Stewart's Versatile Vanilla Cake. It turned out to be perfect, not too sweet, soft crumble, very tender, with a nice buttery vanilla flavor. This one is moms favorite now, and mine. So I'll be doing this recipe for my Baby Shower too ;D




I did half the recipe, since I didn't wanted a big cake, and I used a 6" pie pan.... yes a pie pan, no need to buy more cake pans when I could just trim the edges, right?  I baked two, and made it layered. I have to admit I made a mistake with the recipe, while I used half of most of the recipe, I used by mistake all the buttermilk, well my substitution of buttermilk.  I don't think I have even seen buttermilk, so I avoided any recipe with it. But I read somewhere that adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to regular milk works just fine, so I did just that, but used all of it. Anyhow, it came out so good, I intend to make the same mistake again ;)




I was still beating my head over what to use for the filling, when dad arrive with some passion fruit. I have been craving these since the beginning of my pregnancy, finally almost seven months later, I got them ;)
Naturally I made a sauce and used as a filling.... yummy!!! I used the pulp of two fruits, 3 tablespoons of honey, 3 tablespoons of butter, and some flour. I found it perfect because I love the sour taste of passion fruit, and I still had that in the sauce.

Now the meringue, well I'm not going to dwell on it, I over beat it, like most the times I have tried it.


It dosent look too bad, right? At least I tasted really good!!!! So I'm happy :)




Have a good one,
Hecmi

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hecmi! Thanks for visiting my blog! I read your comment about your meringue on my blog. Are you using a cooked meringue like the recipe on my blog? A cooked meringue is almost impossible to over beat. Keep trying, your cakes and cookies look amazingly delicious!

    ReplyDelete